Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The time for talk is over

For several years now I've been thinking about doing Ironman. More specifically, I've been wanting to do Ironman Canada (IMC). A few things have stood in the way: (1) I can do a back-flip off a diving board, but I suck at distance swimming. (2) I've never cycled more than 50km. (3) It's ridiculously expensive.

Now the cycling part just seems like blue collar work. I believe I just have to get the saddle time in and I should be fine come race day. Swimming is a little more challenging. I've been swimming poorly for years. This has worked for the sprint and Oympic distances I've done, but I'd never survive a 3.8km swim with my current inefficient stroke. As for the run, to date I've done two road marathons and 10 ultramarathons, including a gruelling ultra that took 23hrs 54min. Suffice it to say I'm not worried about the run.

But really, my biggest stumbling block has been the cost. While having drinks with a few triathletes last week, one of which is doing IMC this weekend, I asked how much one of them had put into IMC so far. Here are some common expenses that people seem to be spending:

Entry Fee: $ 650
Bike: 2000
Coaching: 2000
Training Camp: 600
Wetsuit: 400
Clothing: 400
Running shoes: 200
--------------------
Total: $ 6200

I'm missing a variety of things on this list that escape me at the moment. Our rough calculation while discussing it was closer to $10,000 and this seems similar to what other friends have said they've spent.

I have a 12yr old triathlon bike that I bought second hand last year. As long as it doesn't fall apart on me, I plan on training and racing this bike. I absolutely refuse to pay for a triathlon coach, because I think it's a waste of money for someone like me that's experienced at endurance distances and has several IMC friends. I already have a cheap wetsuit that I paid $100 for last year. Where I do plan to spend some money is on swim lessons.

Here's my budget plan:

Entry Fee: $ 650 (spending this weekend)
Bike: 650 (purchased last year)
Swim Lessons: 400
Wetsuit: 100 (purchased earlier this year)
Clothing: 200
Running shoes: 200
--------------------
Total: $ 2200

The time for talk is over. I'm volunteering at IMC this weekend and plan to register for 2012 on Monday morning. It all begins now.

4 comments:

  1. You're forgetting nutrition(huge!) and trip(s) up to the Okanagan to ride the course... Off the top of my head. You'll also likely go through at least 3 pairs of shoes... Are u planning on doing any half IM events?

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree that nutrition and running shoes are an integral part of the budget, I elected to exclude them since I'd still have those expenses if I were simply running ultras next season.

    Still haven't decided on the 70.3's. I need to be convinced that it's necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IMO, with 20-25 hr training weeks, your nutrition needs will be greater than what you've used in the past training for ultras (assuming two long runs and 3 shorter runs per week)... Even on the cheap, IM is expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that remains to be seen. I'll be curious to see how, for example, a 6hr road ride compares to a 6hr trail run nutrition wise.

    I've been helping a friend, who's done IMC, get ready for her first ultra. It's taken a few months to get her nutrition sorted out. Following weeks of bonk sessions, she's now consuming way more calories on the long runs than she expected.

    Once I get to some of the longer road rides I'll report back on my findings.

    p.s. I appreciate the input. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete