Wednesday, August 31, 2011

An Apology and a Manifesto

Part I - The Apology

This past weekend was IMC2011 weekend and as promised the hype did not disappoint. Even this Ultrarunner was swept away by all the excitement. Shaved legs, compression sleeves and bikes worth more than my house were plentiful.

This blog post isn't so much about the actual race as it is about some thoughts I had during the weekend. First I need to start by apologizing to two close friends: Meg and Joanne. In the weeks leading to this year's race while the racers were tapering their training, we were ramping up the Ultramarathon vs Ironman banter. As much as I enjoyed this, it is clear to me now that I took this discussion too far and insulted two very close friends, and for this I am sorry.

I had my first clue that I had f'd up when Jo mentioned in an email that I didn't seem to hold my triathlon friends in high regard. I knew for sure I had been a jack-a$$ when Meg said on race day, "This time last year this was the most important day of my life". These two comments did not go unnoticed, even if I didn't say much in reply.

I have to admit that I had a change of heart/opinion about Ironman this weekend. Certainly Meg and Jo's comments gave me pause. However, spending the day in the glaring sun and heat watching the cyclists and the runners slog it out made me think that the run could possibly be the hardest part of the race for me. This revelation came as a surprise, given that I've been running ultras for several years now. Frankly, I wouldn't want to have done even just the marathon portion last weekend given how hot it was out. Even Meg's friend Joe, a veteran ultrarunner, was humbled by the run portion. I still think running something like Vancouver 100 is harder than Ironman, but I have found a new respect for those that attempt IMC.

Anyway, sorry for being a jerk!!! I guess I'm still learning that my days as a Fat Biker are over and the people I keep company now deserve a little more tenderness from me.

Part II - Manifesto

My new found respect for IM notwithstanding, there are still some things about triathlon that I plan to ridicule..... affectionately of course. During the weekend I started thinking about all the stereotypical elements of Ironman that I find absurd. Although I am doing IMC, I plan to remain an ultrarunner at heart. Given how tempting it can be to get sucked into all the marketing and hype, I've devised a list intended to keep me true to my roots.

Without further delay.... here it is.....

Top 10 Things I Won't Get Sucked Into During IMC Training

1. I will not buy a new fancy carbon bike, unless mine spontaneously disintegrates.
2. I will not go to Iron Camp.
3. I will not pay for coaching (swimming lessons are the exception).
4. I will not walk around in public with compression socks.
5. I will not shave my legs (I reserve the right to change my mind on this one).
6. I will not buy bike components that don't actually need replacing.
7. I will not obsess about my training schedule.
8. I will not buy a power meter.
9. I will not pay ridiculous money for a Half Iron.
10.I will not buy a sperm helmet.

3 comments:

  1. SS, did you get your period today? :) All joking aside, apology accepted. And I agree with Meg - most important day, most memorable day and certainly, without a doubt, it was the best day. Just have fun out there, be it an ultrarunner, a 240lb fat biker, someone battling illness or with a disability... that IS the beauty of Ironman: we all have our own reason for doing it... but doing it together on that day is a celebration of that journey. Enjoy the ride, buddy! We'll be cheering you on the whole way :)

    ReplyDelete